Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Response to Analysis Of Text "Blink"

I haven't read the text Blink but this overview was helpful. In my early days in business I was educated to believe that analysis was more important than my gut feel and instincts, which may be premature. As I have got older and better at understanding that finance and other numbers are derived from human judgements as well as hard facts, I've begun to return to gut feel as a valid measure of a situation, particularly when the information is fuzzy and unclear. The sense that "if something walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it probably IS a duck" tells me I should look at the analysis again, because something isn't right.

However, I do reserve my judgements on people for more than initial impressions, as good people are multi-dimensional and 3 mins might tell you how you FEEL, but not whether this is valid.

The book seems to indicate that gut instincts rule the business world. Good job I'm tall......

No comments: